We all have had this struggle at one or several points in our life. For instance, when the craving for a cookie was on its highest but the lid of the cookie jar wouldn’t open. Or when we wanted to put a pickle in our sandwich and the lid decided that we couldn’t have it.
Then the quest would start to get that lid open. We would apply every known trick, for example, banging it against the kitchen counter, using a cloth to twist it with force, a knife to pry it open or play the age-old game of passing the parcel (to find out who is the strongest person in the house).
But gone are those days. Now you can use any of the jar openers to help you in opening a stubborn lid. Let us first have a look at various kinds of jar openers available today on the market.
Types of jar openers
Generally speaking, there are only 2 types of jar openers available i.e. Manual and Electric. These are further divided into subtypes based on shape, size and other parameters.
Manual jar openers
These openers help you in improving your grip. Or they provide you with a better lever to work with. These openers are made of different materials such as rubber, silicon and so on and they vary in shape. Let’s look at some sub-types of manual jar openers:
There are 2 types of wrench openers; one with a rubber loop that tightens around the jar (also known as loop wrench) and the other with a grip and variable size grooves to fit different jar lids.
Most basic in shape and design of all the jar openers, they are made to give you a good grip on the lid. You can also place them under the jar to prevent the jar from slipping.
- Under Cabinet
As the name suggests, these are fixed under your kitchen cabinet/counter. These are the easiest to be used for prying a jar open. They are economical and provide a superior grip on the jar lid.
Electrical jar openers
These openers are suitable for people who are suffering from arthritis, have a weak grip or are unable to apply enough force in order to open the lid. These openers are of two varieties, namely, battery-operated or with the plug-in chord.
Battery operated jar openers require AA size battery. The electric jar openers are very easy to use. All you have to do is fix the lid in the socket and push the button.
Benefits of using a jar opener
Using a jar opener has several benefits:
- Reduces the amount of effort
- Reduces the risk of breaking the jar
- Minimises the risk of injury
- Good for elderly and those suffering from arthritis
Key features of a jar opener
- Ergonomic design
- Energy saving
- Non-slip grip
- Variable jaw size
- Sturdy and durable
- Easy to use.
Things to consider before buying a jar opener
There are so many jar openers on the market that it quickly becomes confusing to choose one that fits the bill.
However, there are a few key things to look for that will help you in choosing the best jar opener for you:
This is directly related to the durability of the jar opener that you will bring home. Jar openers are made from different materials such as rubber, silicon and plastic. Silicone jar openers are the most durable.
Though all the jar openers come with the variable lid-size option, it is always advisable to make sure that all the jars in your home fall in the same range.
Construction of the handle
Few jar openers come with a handle, which acts as a lever. Ensure that the handle has a rubber grip to avoid any slipping accident in the future.
Ease of use
The basic function of a jar opener is to save time and effort. But, if you are still spending your precious time because you find operating the jar opener tricky, then it is not the right fit.
It should be light and compact so that it can be easily carried anywhere.
The opener should be easy to clean.
Best jar openers
Now that we know all about jar openers and how to choose the best one for your specific needs, let’s have a look at this list of ‘Best Jar Openers’ curated for you by us:
This jar opener is one of the most versatile ones available on the market. As it is able to open jars of any size, the EZ Off Jar Opener is a really handy thing to have in your kitchen. This jar opener has a duel V-grip system that helps you to simply twist off the lid without any hassle.
The EZ Jar Opener is not only great for use in the kitchen but is also used in dental laboratories, operating rooms and commercial spaces.
Installing and operating this jar opener is also very easy. As it simply has a peel and stick-adhesive along with screws, even children or elderly people can use it.
- Manually operated
- Works with any lid size available in your home
- Opens any lid whether its factory sealed, childproof, or tamperproof
- Easy to install and operate
- Hides under the cabinet and thus doesn’t interfere with your kitchen décor or takes up storage space
- Made with premium-grade material
- It might destroy bell jar lids if used repeatedly.
The Kichwit Jar Opener can be used to open the lids of wide-mouthed jars as well as small-mouthed bottles. It has a very compact design and weighs only 4.4 ounces. So you can just carry it with you to picnics and parties.
When you use this Kichwit Jar opener, it grips the lid of the jar when you turn the handle counter-clockwise. Now, when you do this, the lid slowly begins to loosen.
- Manual jar opener
- Made out of stainless steel and thus is sturdy and durable
- Light enough to carry anywhere
- Comes with ergonomic handles and an anti-slip grip
- Works well with plastic lids
- Uses a ratchet-type mechanism
- Suitable for lids size between 1” and 3.7” in diameter
- The jar opener might not be able to grip the lid on the first go. If this happens then you will have to try it several more times, as if it does not grip the lid properly, the lid will not open.
- While it does not weigh too much, you will not be able to turn the handle without good arm strength.
Operating a Sinceller electric jar opener is as simple as pushing a button. You do not need to pull any handles or twist the lid on your own and it is especially great for all factory sealed jars which are usually very difficult to open.
All you need to do is place the jar on a flat surface and fix the jar opener on the top of the lid. Now press the button and the inner and outer jaws of the opener will latch onto the lid and the body. The jar opener will then start to rotate automatically.
Once the rotation is complete, press the button to stop and lift the opener. You will find that the cover has completely detached itself from the bottle or the jar.
- Automated jar opener. Works on 2 AA batteries
- Works well with lids of any size
- Energy Efficient
- Lightweight and compact
- The jar opener might get stuck on the top of the lid if it is malfunctioning
- Jars or bottles with mouths smaller than 2.5’’ cannot be opened easily with this jar opener.
The Grip Jar Opener can open lids of any size effortlessly. It has a V-grip system and carbon steel teeth that easily latches onto lids and twist them off in one smooth motion.
Installation of this jar opener is also hassle-free as you can simply stick it under your kitchen cabinet with its adhesive strip.
The Grip Jar Opener is also great for people suffering from arthritis or any kind of carpal disability. It does not require you to apply any external pressure and therefore no arm strength or grip strength is required to operate it.
You can simply use one hand to fix the jar opener on top of the jar lid and twist clockwise.
- A cabinet jar opener and it is the first of its kind
- Suitable for the lid of any size
- Strong and durable carbon steel teeth
- Easy to install and use
- Saves space and time
- Highly durable and break-proof ABS plastic
- Unique V-grip design
- Operates manually
- While it easily opens lids made of hard material, this jar opener is unable to take of jar lids made of softer, pliable material and ends up damaging the cover
The Swing-a-way Comfort Grip Jar Opener is one kitchen gadget that you must have. It can easily open tightly sealed lids due to its leveraged twisting feature and spring-loaded power.
This jar opener is also quite lightweight and therefore it is portable. If while opening sauce bottles or jars of jam, you get it dirty, then simply wash it with water and a mild detergent.
Since it is made of top-grade stainless steel, the water will not cause any damage as long as you dry it off properly after washing.
- Manually operated
- Durable all-stainless-steel construction
- Leverage twisting and spring power gives smooth and easy operation
- Cushioned grips for comfortable handling
- Easy to clean
- Adjustable to any lid size
- The jar opener often clamps down too tightly on the lid and leaves marks, instead of being able to take it off smoothly.
- When used frequently, it becomes very uncomfortable, in spite of the cushioned grips.
This is one gadget that is going to make things much easier for you in the kitchen. The Leifheit 03131 Extra Wide Stainless Steel Lid and Jar Opener can open jars, bottles and tubes of any size and design. it has steel teeth to grip the lid tightly and fits onto the top of any lid.
When it does this, you can work the handles to screw the top of the lid off easily. It’s easy to operate and has a comfortable grip.
- Operated manually
- Designed with stainless steel to be durable and long-lasting
- Multi-functional with wide-set handles
- Oval shaped handles for ease of use and comfort
- Firmly attached teeth to securely remove the lids
- People with small hands will find it difficult to operate the handles.
The Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener is absolutely great for elderly people who do not have much strength in the arm or grip anymore and for those who have arthritis. This jar opener is really easy to operate and it makes opening jar lids extremely easy.
It is able to take the lids off all kinds of standard-sized jars and bottles, even of those that have very smooth-sided lids or grooved edges.
To use it, you simply need to fix it on top of the lid by rotating the turn-knob clockwise. This allows the jaws to clamp down on the lid tightly. Then push the handle counter-clockwise and the id will begin to loosen.
- Manual jar opener with good leverage
- Easy to clean
- Best for lids with smooth sides and grooves
- Easy to use
- If you try opening very small lids with this jar opener, it might slide off and bruise your knuckles.
The design of the Rtreek Jar Opener is based on the Lever Principle which makes way for a large output by putting in the minimum force or little input.
This kind of design allows the jar opener to be a great tool for all those who have weak hands and need assistance in opening tightly fixed lids.
The jar opener has extremely strong teeth that firmly grip the top of the lid.
- Sharp teeth made of stainless-steel
- Has anti-skid properties
- Ergonomic handle with a comfortable grip
- Requires very little effort to operate
- It cannot open lids with a diameter of more than 4’’.
This jar and can opener is a very versatile and effective tool to have around the kitchen. It can be used to open jars and cans of any sizes.
Since it is made of rubber, the Rubber Strap Wrench Grip/Tighten Bottle Jar Can Opener does not leave any marks on the surface of the jar and it does not scuff or scratch the body of the jar.
- Made of high-quality rubber for comfort grip
- Fit for multiple sizes
- Comes in various colors
- Ergonomic handle design
- Long handles for better grip
- Since it grips the top of the jars quite tightly, it has a tendency of getting stuck.
The Tastmate Jar Opener is a very durable tool and it has a compact design. It is ideal for all those who have weak hands, especially those who are suffering from arthritis. Weighing 4.37 ounces, it is not at all heavy and is therefore quite portable.
- Long-lasting stainless-steel design
- Rust-resistant material
- Lifetime warranty
- It slides off smooth-sided lids.
As the name itself suggests, the Kitchen Gadget Strong Tough Automatic Jar Opener is an automatic, electrically operated jar opener. This is what allows it to open even the toughest of jar lids quite effortlessly.
This jar opener is designed to work on jars and bottles of any size.
- Built-in magnet to hold the lid in place
- Durable material to last a long time
- Energy-efficient design
- Safe and easy to use
- Might start to malfunction if used repeatedly for a few weeks.
The Kitchen Jaws Premium Easy Turn Jar & Bottle Opener is designed to give extra leverage while opening lids of jars and bottles.
The handle and the strong teeth provide the right amount of pressure needed to open the lids. This jar opener works on all the common types of jar lids and bottle caps.
- Chef-grade tool to help you open jars, bottles, tubes and caps
- Made from 100% premium stainless steel
- Round ergonomic handle
- Steel jaws for a firm grip
- Chrome-plated look
- Easy to use
- You cannot operate it with one hand.
The onset of Robo Twist Jar Opener has completely revolutionized lid-opening situations. With its efficient no slip-grip feature, the tool is finally able to normalize comfort and luxury in a bottle or jar opening.
It has a size-adjustable feature that empowers this Jar Opener to work on lids of all sizes, shapes and colors. It has an ergonomic design which is extremely convenient for transport and storage.
This jar opener weighs around a pound and is portable. It can open up to 4 inch wide jar lids.
- Advanced automated jar opener
- Works with almost any jar/lids
- Single-button process
- Compact design to save kitchen space
- Runs on 2 AA batteries
- High-grade durable plastic with a powerful motor
- Can’t open soda bottles or the kind, due to small-sized lids.
- Too much external pressure might break the jaws.
With the introduction of Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener, you don’t need to use all your muscle strength for lid opening. All you need to do is press the ‘Open Jar’ button and the outer arms will grip the jar and the inner arms twist the lid after closing down on it, tightly.
It weighs around a pound and requires 2 AA batteries to function. The handgrip, comfort and control provided this device is unparalleled and perfect.
- Automated and operates on 2 AA batteries
- Works with a wide variety of lid sizes
- Designed from quality materials for long-lasting durability
- Compact and lightweight
- Only works on glass jars with metal lids.
The OXO Good Grips Jar Opener comes with a non-slip surface pad to make sure opening a jar never turns messy again.
It has a rubber handle specifically made for wrist and hand comfort. It can be used to open jars of any size, shape or kind. The counter-clockwise twist over the jar lid is the only action required to easily and conveniently open any lid, any time.
This OXO cook tool weighs around 5.6 ounces and is widely used all over the world for its comfort using. It is dishwasher safe, as well as contoured for easy usage and maintenance.
- Uniquely designed to open any jar
- Contoured handle for comfort grip
- Base pad for extra stability of jars atop kitchen counters
- Dishwasher safe
- Completely made of stainless steel
- Only one side has ‘teeth’. The other side comprises of polished metal, unlike the previous models.
- Leaves holes in the plastic lids.
So, now you don’t have to battle with that jammed lid on your favorite cookie jar. Just purchase a jar opener and make your life easy.
Which one is your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!