Coffee kombucha is a variation of regular kombucha in which, rather than fermenting black tea or green tea, you ferment brewed coffee.
- 4 cups of ground coffee or 2 cups of Espresso diluted with 2 cups of water
- ½ cup sugar
- SCOBY package (with SCOBY and around 250ml of liquid)
- Sterilise the jar with boiling water or wash well with warm soapy water.
- Make 4 cups of ground coffee or 2 cups of Espresso diluted with 2 cups of water and place it in the glass container.
- Add sugar to the coffee and stir well until the sugar dissolves. Set it aside to cool to the room temperature.
- In the glass jar add coffee then SCOBY. Stir mixture well with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the glass jar with lid or cotton cloth and a rubber band to hold it tight.
- Set it aside to ferment at the countertop on the room temperature but away from the direct sunlight for 5 days.
- After 5 days, start tasting kombucha. When desired taste is achieved pour the kombucha coffee into glass bottle, leaving a little of headspace at the top of the bottle. Leave the bottle at the room temperature for another 24-48 hours for a second ferment.
- After 48 hours put the bottle in refrigerator. Serve kombucha coffee over ice. You can also flavour it by adding coconut milk.
Equipment: large glass jar (Le-Parfair style jar with a rubber seal or similar), glass container, wooden spoon and a glass bottle.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 14 grams
- Sodium: 11 mg
- Fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 grams