You might have heard about the benefits of fermented probiotic foods containing live bacterial cultures. They increase good bacteria in the colon to fight off bad bacteria or disease causing microorganisms.
Probiotics can have similar transformative effects on your skin. They are live good bacteria that have a calming effect on the skin and help the cells flourish.
Probiotic skin and hair care restores natural balance of your skin, replenishes it with nutrients and has strong anti-inflammatory effects.
Many manufacturers are adding live bacterial cultures of Lactobacillus and bifidobacteria to face washes, cleansers, serums, eye creams, face masks, skin tonic/mist, scrubs and facial peels.
These beneficial bacteria are particularly useful for aging, mature and sensitive skin and they are also well tolerated by people with acne, rosacea and other issues.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of probiotic skin care products and the best ones in the market.
Benefits of probiotic skin care products
Relieves common skin problems
The most important benefit of probiotic skin care product is that it can help one get rid of redness, acne and rosacea.
Face creams made with probiotic technology are suitable for mature skin and skin with redness, swelling and inflammatory responses to environmental conditions.
The cream instantly comforts and soothes irritated skin and relieves appearance of redness.
Probiotic creams and serums also quell blotchiness and restore even skin tone.
Takes care of common skin diseases
If you are suffering from acne, rosacea, psoriasis, adult acne or eczema, you could benefit from probiotic skin care – especially probiotic makeup.
The cleansers, creams, serums and foundations help soothe as well as ‘hide’ redness and infuse probiotic bacteria into the skin to fight P.acnes bacterium which causes acne.
Suitable for adults, teenagers and babies
The best part of probiotic skin care is that it is suitable for all ages.
The probiotics in lotions and cleansers strengthen the skin cell’s detoxification and normalize skin pH.
That is why these products are suitable for adolescents with acne, adults with hormonal cystic acne or dry and irritated skin and even for babies with diaper rashes.
Probiotic face serums counteract aging issues like dryness, wrinkles and lines.
Lactobacillus cells stimulate skin’s production of Beta-defensins and these peptides favor beneficial strains that counteract the aging strains.
With so many benefits, it is little wonder that pro and prebiotic strains are being added to not only creams, lotions and cleansers but also to mascara, shampoos, diaper creams, makeup removers, skin mist and toners, baby care salves, eye creams, lipsticks, foot care, hand creams, primer/fixers, deodorants and even in women’s intimate care.
Let us now take a look at the best probiotic skin care products to use:
Best Probiotic Skin Care Products
The winner in this category is Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser. It balances the pH of the skin, removes deeply embedded dirt and makeup, prevents acne, and is completely free from parabens.
- Suitable for people with sensitive skin.
- Ideal for men and women with rosacea, acne and psoriasis.
- It contains natural ingredients like cucumber juice, willow bark extract, sweet almond milk, lactic acid, coenzyme Q10, tea tree oil and added vitamins.
- Does not foam and has a mild cleansing action that is suitable for all skin types.
- The smell could be better and is not to everyone’s taste.
Serums are great for aging skin. They are lighter than creams and lotions and get easily absorbed into the skin.
Probiotic serums prevent wrinkles, fine lines and diminish age spots.
A good facial serum with probiotic elements can also contain ingredients like Hyaluronic acid, Retinol, vitamin C and others to lighten skin tone, brighten up dull looking skin and reverse damaging effects of sun exposure.
The winner in this category is Tula Probiotic serum.
- Tula is a well known cosmetic brand known for their high end products and anti-aging line.
- Probiotic serum from Tula has received rave reviews and 5 star ratings on many retail sites.
- When applied regularly around the eyes and forehead, you will notice marked reduction in wrinkles and fine lines.
- The best part is that Tula probiotic anti-aging serum is devoid of oil, parabens, phthalates and mineral oil.
- Suitable for mature, sensitive skin, acne prone skin and also for people with rosacea.
- It contains soothing ingredients like green tea and blueberry extracts along with retinol and vitamin C.
- 95% of the women said they had plumper looking skin in just 4 weeks of use. Over 90% of women noticed a reduction in lines and wrinkles within 4 weeks of use.
- Expensive product.
Probiotic Mist for Skin
Mist or toner sprays do wonders for the skin: they instantly firm lift and brighten the skin up and also give your healthier looking vibrant skin.
Mary Ruth’s organics skin care line needs no introduction and many of their products have helped women and men of all ages overcome all kinds of skin problems.
This is a plant based, USDA Certified organic, non GMO, vegan, raw and naturally probiotic mist for healthy skin. It is especially suited for issues like dry skin, aging or mature skin, and eczema prone skin.
- Contains a variety of grasses including wheatgrass and alfalfa.
- It works on acne, ringworm, toenail fungus, rosacea, eczema and pretty much every skin issue.
- This is a purely, organic, vegan, raw, non GMO, soil based and plant based product.
- Safe for use on all skin types including baby’s sensitive skin.
- Many women have also sprayed this mist on their hair and scalp to reduce yeast infections, ringworm of the scalp, dandruff and prevent hair fall.
- It is clear, odorless and tasteless.
- A few users experienced breakouts with it.
- Some users experienced no benefit.
Probiotic Skin Refiner
A skin refiner works in multiple ways by exfoliating, hydrating and boosting collagen to get younger looking skin. The winner in this category is probiotic skin refiner from The Beauty Chef.
- This is a bioactive product with fermented grains, algae, fruit and vegetable extracts and probiotic lactic acid.
- The AHA or alpha hydroxy acid in the refiner breaks down dead skin cells to improve cellular turnover.
- Pores will dramatically shrink with this product.
- It is especially recommended for people with cystic acne.
- Natural and gentle enough for sensitive skin.
- It functions as a toner as well as exfoliating agent and prepares the skin for the moisturizer.
- With regular use, skin will look and feel softer, smoother and brighter.
- For some users, it dried out the skin.
Skin Renewal Cream
Skin renewal cream may be used at day or night to brighten and tone the skin. It also eliminates sun damage and makes skin younger, more radiant and with a natural glow.Andalou probiotic cream contains vitamin C, sunflower oil and Aloe Vera. It is also based on science-backed fruit stem cell antioxidant defense system that promotes cell repair, undoes damage and boosts circulation.
- Thousands of positive reviews.
- Highly cost effective compared to products in this category.
- Lifts, firms and hydrates. This is a must have product for aging skin.
- Good for acne prone skin.
- Smells great.
- Dried out the skin for some users.
Face scrubs help gently exfoliate the skin and stimulate microcirculation.Pierre F Probiotic Energizing Facial Scrub is a popular product in this category.
Pierre F Probiotic products are very well received. They make a wide range of probiotic skin care products including serums, scrubs and cleansers.
- Free from phthalates, sulfates, and parabens.
- This scrub does not dry the skin out.
- Contains vitamin B and Acai berry.
- Some users found the smell a bit too strong.
- Could be oily for certain skin types
There is a growing trend of topical use of probiotic skin care products. Due to this rising trend, we can certainly expect many more players in the market. Until then, you can use the above top probiotic skin care products to keep your skin glowing and healthy.
P.S. You might have heard about the benefits to your digestive system of probiotic food. Take a look at the best probiotic foods that could improve your gut health.