Pickled cucumbers made sweet.
- Pickling cucumbers – 5 ½ lbs
- Shallots sliced – 1 ½ lbs
- ½ cup pickling salt
- 4 ½ cups white vinegar
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- Wash the cucumbers and remove blossom ends. Halve, quarter, or leave them whole, depending on their size. Coat the cucumbers and shallots evenly with salt and toss them well to distribute the salt all over. Refrigerate the cucumbers and shallots for 2-4 hours, covered. Drain the juice.
- Prepare mason jars or pint jars by heating them in water baths.
- Place the cucumbers in the prepared jars.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour the liquid over the cucumbers. Leave about half-inch headspace.
- Cover the jars with two-piece canning lids.
- Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Store the jars in a cool, dry place for at least 2-4 weeks before consuming.
- Category: Fermented Food
- Method: Fermentation