Pineapple Tepache is a light and refreshing probiotic drink which originated in Mexico.
- 1 pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 cups water
- Cut the head off of the pineapple and discard it. Wash pineapple thoroughly ensuring that any dirt particles or bugs are removed. Cut the pineapple in chunks keeping the skin on.
- In the glass jar pour water then add sugar. Mix the sugar until it fully dissolves.
- Add pineapple and cover mouth of the glass jar with the cheesecloth or tea towel and secure it with a rubber band.
- Keep the jar in a cool place away from direct sunlight for three days.
- After 2-3 days you will notice white foam starting to form on the surface of water. Scoop out the white foam with a spoon.
- Serve pineapple tepache over ice.
Equipment: large glass jar , chopping board, knife, spoon, cheesecloth or tea towel and a rubber band.
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 106
- Sodium: 12 mg
- Carbohydrates: 25 grams