Buttery Sandwich Sourdough Biscuits offer a perfect way to begin your day on a healthy note. These biscuits are delicious and have a rich texture, thanks to the generous addition of butter to it. The sourdough flavor of these biscuits pairs perfectly with eggs, sausage, and even ham.
You may use the ready Sourdough starter for this recipe. Alternatively, you may add the “discarded” sourdough to the flour. The extra starter that you would otherwise throw away before the feeding process can offer a characteristic Sourdough flavor to the biscuits.
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, preferably cold
- 1 cup of sourdough starter, preferably the discarded portion
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well. Add the butter into this mixture and mix well until all the ingredients are well combined. Continue to whisk the contents until the mixture seems unevenly crumbly.
- Add sourdough starter, and mix gently until dough appears cohesive. Knead well to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Alternatively, you can turn it onto a piece of parchment. Gently pat the dough to form a 1-inch-thick round base.
- Use a sharp biscuit cutter to cut the dough to form rounds. Cut the rounds as close to each other as possible. Remove the rounds from the dough and pat together the scraps. Repeat the procedure to form a base and cut additional biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, and place a rack in its upper third. Line a baking sheet with parchment or grease it.
- Place the round pieces of dough on the baking sheet. Leave space of about 2 inches between 2 rounds so that when the dough rises and spreads, the baked biscuits do not touch or overlap each other.
- Bake the sourdough biscuits in the upper one-third of the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store biscuits an air-tight container so that they do not lose their texture and crunchiness. You can store sourdough biscuits at room temperature for several days.