If you are looking for a quick way to prepare a pizza and do not have the crust, you can try this instant Sourdough Pizza Crust Recipe so that you can enjoy a homemade pizza using a flavorful Sourdough Starter.
- 2 1/2 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sourdough starter, preferably the discarded portion
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon of active or instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 teaspoons of Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
- If you are using stored sourdough, remove it from the refrigerator and stir a small amount of water in it. However, it is best to use the discarded portion of Sourdough for this recipe as it can provide a unique taste to your pizza crust. Using the discarded or unfed portion of the starter would also help you save the time needed for the stored starter to be active again.
- Take 1 cup of the discarded sourdough starter in a large bowl. Add to it the warm water, salt, yeast, and flour. Mix well to combine all the ingredients properly.
- Add Pizza Dough Flavor, if you are using. Whish the contents to combine.
- Knead the dough for about 7 to 10 minutes in a mixer using a dough hook. Continue kneading until the dough has wrapped itself around the hook.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place it in a greased container. Cover it with a lid and let it rise until it becomes double its original size. Depending on how active your sourdough starter was, it may take about 2 to 4 hours for the dough to rise. If you want to speed up the process, you can add another half a spoon of yeast to the dough or place it in a warm area.
- Divide the dough into 2 halves, and shape each to form a flat disk or base. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on two pizza pans. Brush to coat the bottom. The pizza pans should be about 12″ in diameter.
- Place the balls of dough in the pans, and cover. Let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the lid and press the dough gently towards the edges of the pan. If the dough starts to shrink, cover it again and let it rest for 15 minutes more before continuing. Follow the process until the dough rises to the thickness you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Top your pizza crust with sauce and other toppings. But, do not add cheese now. Bake the thin-crust pizzas for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add grated cheese. If you prefer a thick-crust pizza, bake the dough for at least 10 minutes before removing it from your oven and adding cheese.
- Place the crust back into the oven and continue baking for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- You can store the leftover pizza in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.