For all kraut lovers, you will enjoy this delicious and spicy sauerkraut recipe.
- 1 medium size green cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage. Slice the cabbage into quarters then remove the core. Shred cabbage and onion with a sharp knife or using a shredder.
- Cut carrot into small sticks.
- Remove seeds from the jalapeno and cut it into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage and onion, carrot, jalapeno, salt and mustard seeds.
- Pound the mixture with a wooden spoon or massage it with hands until the juices are released and vegetables are soft. This will take 5-15 minutes.
- Pack the vegetables tightly into the glass jar. Keep pressing it slowly until brine is released and vegetables are submerged below the brine.
- Cover the vegetables with a fermentation weight to ensure the vegetables stay submerged below the brine during the fermentation process. Leave 1-inch at the top of the jar as vegetables will expand while they ferment.
- Seal the jar with a lid and leave it at room temperature away from direct sunlight to ferment. Fermentation will take around 3 weeks however start trying the ferment after a week. The longer spicy sauerkraut ferments the better and more mature flavor is created.
- Once the flavor is to your liking place sauerkraut into refrigerator or store in basement or root cellar.
Equipment: 2 quarts glass jar with lid
- Serving Size: 100 grams
- Calories: 19 calories
- Sodium: 661 mg
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4.3 grams
- Fiber: 2.9 grams
- Protein: 0.9 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 mg