How do I open this? I don’t have a can opener?
Does this monologue sound familiar to you? You are not alone.
We all need can openers every other day, but most kitchens are simply missing this essential item.
You will agree with us that a can opener is a very versatile tool, especially when it comes with added benefits of a bottle opener and a knife sharpener.
Are you planning to buy one? This article is what you must read!
How to Open a Can?
Ideally, opening a can should not require too much physical effort. However, many can openers which are not properly designed, end up hurting your hands. But if you are using a proper can opener, whether automatic or manual, operating it should be easy.
All you need to do is position the can opener on the rim of the can and allow the blade to cut through the metal. Usually, to open the can, the blade will complete one rotation. Then, you will be able to lift the lid off easily.
The Best Can Openers
1. Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Electric Can Opener
This can opener by Hamilton Beach is extremely easy to operate. You will never have to force open a can if you have this tool in your kitchen drawer. The design of the can opener is sleek and ergonomic.
To use this, all you need to do is set the rim of the can under the blade. Then press the lever down and the opener will rotate around the whole can. Now you can easily open the can by lifting the lid.
- The blade does not come in contact with the food inside the can.
- The blade easily rotates around the can.
- Does not leave behind any sharp edges.
- Can be operated with just one hand.
- Might leave behind some metal shavings after long term use.
- Blade gets jammed if there is a thick paper label over the rim of the can.
2. OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Can Opener
A can opener needs to be of a convenient size. If the opener is too small or too large, you are going to have a difficult time using it. This can opener by Oxo is of a perfect size. The cushioned handles make sure that your hands do not start paining after you have opened one too many cans. The cushioning is also non-slip in nature. So, even if your hands are wet, you will be able to retain your grip. Another great feature of this tool is that it comes with an in-built bottle opener.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Made of top-grade stainless steel.
- The opener easily cuts through the top of a can without leaving behind any sharp edges.
- Equipped with a large knob that allows it to be handled easily.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- The handles will stop being effective when used too frequently without regular maintenance.
3. KOMKI 3-IN-1 Safety Kitchen Can Opener
We all love a sturdy versatile device and this can opener by Komki is definitely such a product. This can opener is a heavy-duty one that has to be operated manually. But do not worry, you will not have to massage your hands after using it. You will be able to operate this very easily. The handles are non-slip and have a very comfortable grip. There is also a large knob which will help you rotate the blade.
- The blade is very sharp and strong.
- The can opener requires minimum pressure to cut through the top of a can smoothly.
- There is a bottle opener fitted within the can opener.
- The design of the can opener is extremely ergonomic.
- The blade leaves a very sharp edge after cutting open a can.
- The can opener might get jammed if the can is made of thick metal.
4. KitchenAid Can Opener
KitchenAid has been providing the best essential tools for your kitchen for a long time. Each of their products is created with care and from the top quality materials available. This can opener is one of their best tools. If you find any defect or if the can opener stops working even when maintained properly, KitchenAid will immediately take care of those problems and replace it with a new, fully functional can opener. The can opener is designed in a way that you can operate it easily, without too much pressure and no hassle.
- Made out of strong, good quality stainless steel.
- Cutting wheel is very sharp.
- Handles of the can opener are ergonomic in design.
- Quite affordable when compared to other similar products.
- No in-built bottle opener.
- Not dishwasher safe.
5. Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome Automatic Can Opener
When you buy any new appliance or essential tool for your home or kitchen, you want it to be durable and loaded with great features. This can opener by Hamilton Beach checks all the right boxes. It also has Hamilton Beach’s patented technology “SuperCut”. With the SuperCut technology, you can use this can opener to open all kinds of cans without any hassle.
- Has an automatic “shut-off” function.
- Can be separated from the device for cleaning.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Equipped with a knife sharpener.
- Might be inefficient when used to open large cans made of thick metal.
- Top-heavy and could topple lightweight cans.
6. Cuisinart CCO-50BKN Deluxe Electric Can Opener
This can opener by Cuisinart is perfect for regular use. It cuts through various types of cans precisely. So if you are someone who has a lot of canned food or beverages, you should definitely have this can opener in your kitchen. It is designed very elegantly and requires no external effort to start working. All you need to do is press a button and the can opener will do the rest of the job. With the detachable lever, cleaning and maintaining the can opener is not a big deal.
- The Power Cut blade is extremely sturdy and cuts cleanly.
- The magnetic lid holder helps to avoid a mess by securing the can lid.
- The motor system of the can opener is very efficient.
- The can opener has a strong, non-slip base which stops the can from sliding.
- The can opener is not equipped with a knife sharpener or a bottle opener.
- The can opener is not made of stainless steel and therefore is not very durable.
7. ZYLISS Lock N’ Lift 7″ Manual Handheld Can Opener
Most can openers have a very sharp blade. Therefore, you must make sure that they have some kind of safety mechanism. This can opener by Zyliss needs to be manually operated and comes with a locking mechanism. Therefore, it gives you full control. You do not need to strain your hands and apply too much force while using this can opener.
- The cutting wheel locks in place to deliver a smooth cut.
- The handle of the can opener is easy to turn.
- The can opener comes with a magnet that lifts the lid off without creating a mess.
- The can opener can be released from the lid with the touch of a button.
- The can opener does not cut through labels properly and might leave the shredded paper in the contents once the lid is lifted.
- The can opener is quite lightweight and flimsy.
8. Kebley Stainless Steel Can Opener
Sometimes, when we use a can opener, it might come into contact with the food. Now, this might be potentially harmful if the can opener is not clean or if it is made out of toxic materials. However, with the Kebley can opener, you do not need to worry. The stainless steel used is food grade and it can be cleaned very easily. The can opener will last a long time and is completely rustproof.
- The cutting blade is very sharp and is zinc plated.
- Cuts through cans of all sizes.
- Does not leave behind any metal shavings.
- Comes with an in-built bottle opener.
- Handles do not provide a very comfortable grip.
- Might not be able to efficiently grip the lid of larger cans.
9. Dr.me Electric Can Opener
If you want a can opener that is not only convenient to use but also of a compact design, then this automatic can opener by Dr.me will be a great choice. This sturdy can opener is designed to stop you from applying too much pressure with your bare hands. If you suffer from hand pain or have arthritis, then you should definitely purchase this can opener.
- The cutting blade leaves behind rounded edges to minimize the risk of injury.
- A built-in magnet secures the lid.
- Starts working with the push of a button.
- Has a strong metal gear which helps in the movement of the cutting blade.
- It is not easy to detach the opener from the rim of a can.
- The can opener does not work very fast and takes some time in cutting through the lid properly.
10. ELIRIVAWET Can Opener
The Elirivawet can opener is manually operated. It can cut through quite a few types of cans. The ergonomic handles make sure that you do not end straining your hands trying to open a can. The lever attached to the can opener allows you to easily lift the lid of the can once the blade has cut through it.
The can opener is very easy to use. You simply need to attach it to the rim of the can and then rotate the knob. This can be done with the most minimum pressure. The knob will push the blade around the can and very easily cut off the lid.
- The handles are non-slip and have a comfortable grip.
- Made of top-grade stainless steel.
- Equipped with a bottle opener.
- There are holes at the bottom of the handles to hang up the can opener.
- The cutting blade is not sharp enough for thick metal cans.
- The can opener is more expensive than other similar products.
11. Swing-A-Way 407BK Portable Can Opener
The Swing-A-Way can opener is extremely durable and the entire body of the tool is made out of steel. The handles can be operated easily and have a comfortable grip. To make this can opener last really long, all you need to do is clean it with warm water and mild soap and then dry it immediately. It is not at all high maintenance.
- Made of high-carbon and is very sharp.
- The cutting blade moves along the entire rim and does not skip parts.
- Built-in bottle opener.
- Has soft cushion grips which lessen the strain on your hands.
- Cannot be easily fixed on the rim of the can.
- Will rust after some time.
12. Doublewhale Can Opener
The Doublewhale can opener which is manually operated, is also food-safe. Therefore if the can opener does touch the contents of the can, you will not have to worry about contamination. It can easily cut through the lids of different cans and also open the tightest of jar lids.
- Can be used to open both jars and cans.
- Equipped with a bottle opener.
- The cutting blade is very sharp and there are no metal shavings.
- Ideal for those who have delicate hands and especially for the elderly.
- Might break apart after frequent use and the parts are difficult to replace.
- Not very durable.
13. Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Smooth Touch Can Opener
Safety in the kitchen is of utmost importance, especially when dealing with sharp objects. This can opener has lock-on technology which fixes it firmly on the can’s edge. This means that the opener will not slip and cause accidents. When you are using this, you need to turn the knob and have two years in an open position. Now you need to twist the knob clockwise and the opener will automatically attach itself to the rim of the can. It will cut smoothly in one complete rotation.
- The cutting blade runs on the inside of the rim and there are no sharp edges.
- extremely hygienic and the blade does not touch the food.
- The LidLifter smoothly removes the lid once the cutting blade has done its job.
- The opener can be easily released from the rim by turning the knob counter-clockwise.
- This can opener is not suitable for heavy-duty or commercial cans.
- The can opener might cut the lid unevenly.
14. W-Dragon Electric Can Opener
If you suffer from hand pain or have arthritis, then you need a can opener that will not add to the pain. This automatic can opener by W-Dragon is specifically for those who suffer from such conditions. It has a smooth, oval body and feels very comfortable. You will not have to put in one bit of manual effort to get it to work. You will be able to cut open most cans with this can opener and your hands can take a much-needed break.
- cuts through various types of cans very fast.
- The cutting blade is not exposed and it is therefore very safe.
- The can opener leaves a smooth edge.
- The can opener is very hygienic and lifts the lid without touching the food.
- It might be difficult to slide the batteries out of the battery container when it’s time to replace them.
- The gears of the can opener might get jammed.
Types of Can Openers
Lever-type Can Opener
The lever-type can open is shaped like a claw and therefore, it is also called “claw-type opener”. This can opener is one of the basic ones available and you can use it to easily slice open cans. The opener has a large curved blade. This blade punctures the lid of the can and opens it up.
Butterfly Can Opener
This type is usually a manual can opener. It looks like a bunker opener. A butterfly can opener will have a rotating cutting wheel that breaks the top of the can. You have to hold the can tightly and slowly open the can by rotating the lid that is cut. Often, the can opener will have a key or tongs to crank open the lid.
Church Key Opener
A church key can opener is a very popular one, especially among beer drinkers. A church key opener is basically hand-operated. It is commonly used to open the flat tops of beer cans or the cork of glass bottles. To use this can opener, you will first have to secure the guard tightly. Then, you have to lift the opener in a swift movement.
Single Wheel Opener
A single wheel can opener comes with a magnet which helps to keep the lid in place. When, at times, you struggle to open a can, this can opener will be a great solution. The entire process is extremely safe.
Electric Can Opener
An electric can opener is very easy to use as you just have to push the button or flip the lever, depending on your type of electric can opener. The only thing you have to do is place the can carefully under the opener after which the can opener starts rotating its own.
Side Can Opener
This type of can opener comes equipped with a serrated wheel as well as a cutting wheel. It also has a better grip while slicing the lid of the can. When you use a side can opener, it will remove the lid completely and leave behind a very smooth edge. The can opener punctures the rim from the inside and is very safe.
Manual Can Opener
If you are on a budget, then your ideal choice is a manual can opener. A manual can opener is cheap and it can open almost all kinds of cans. It is also very easy to use. However, a manual can opener is not good for the people who have arthritis as it requires physical pressure.
Benefits of Using a Can Opener
A can opener is a really handy tool to have in your kitchen. Its main benefits are listed below.
- You do not need to exert too much force to open a can.
- There are no rough edges left around the rim of the can and therefore, no risk of accidents.
- All kinds of cans can be opened smoothly with a can opener.
- There are no metal shavings left behind which might have otherwise contaminated the food.
Key Features of a Can Opener
Looking through the key features is very important when you are buying a can opener. A good quality product will have most of the features listed below.
Since most can openers are handheld, ergonomic design is absolutely necessary. A can opener should be comfortable to hold. The handles should be cushioned to provide a good grip and they should be non-slip as well.
A can opener should be of the right size. If it is too small, then it will not be able to open large cans. On the other hand, can openers which are too big often end up toppling the can.
Electric can openers with power mode work very fast. They have a strong motor and can cut through all kinds of cans in no time at all.
Strong Cutting Blade
The cutting blade should not chip off or leave rough edges. A strong cutting blade will cut through the rim of the can smoothly.
Food Grade Material
The blade must be made of food-grade material. This is a safety precaution and it ensures that the food will not get contaminated.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Can Opener
If you are a beginner, the following points will act as a buying guide when you browse through different can openers.
A good can opener will have an ergonomic design. The can opener will be shaped in such a way that using it will not strain your hands. Most modern can openers are sleek and have a comfortable grip.
Ease of Use
The can opener that you wish to buy should be easy to operate. Some can openers come with very complicated functions. Such tools take up too much time and do not get the job done efficiently.
You will find that there are many different can openers of different prices. However, most will have similar features. Compare the features and prices. You will soon be able to have one within your budget.
A can opener will require some maintenance so that it remains functional. You should go for a can opener that can be washed easily. There are very few dishwasher safe can openers available, but most can be washed with water by hand.
Popular brands provide a warranty on all their products. The brand will take responsibility for any defects and replace the tool.
There are many can openers available in the market. Before you decide to buy one, you must consider the pros and cons as well as the features. If you know what kind of a can opener you are looking for, then you will find a suitable one quite easily.
So, what is your best pick? Let us know in the comments below.