So, finally, you have decided to brew your own Kombucha at home. That’s great! Nothing can beat the fresh flavors and the unique taste of Kombucha fermented at home.
But, you will need some basic tools to begin with and Kombucha bottles are among them.
If you are excited with the idea of brewing kombucha at home, read further to learn how to find the best fermentation grade bottles that would enhance the flavors of your Kombucha and prevent spoilage of the contents.
And above all, before you get going with your Kombucha experience, you will also need to learn the different types of bottles available such as swing top and wide mouth kombucha bottles and the pros and cons of each.
We will also have a look at the top 8 Kombucha bottles based on various parameters such as their types, durability, and cost so that you can choose the best one depending on your preferences.
Shall we begin?
How to choose the best materials for your Kombucha bottles?
Kombucha bottles are available in different materials. However, not every material would be suitable for you to brew that perfect Kombucha.
You need to check the advantages and disadvantages of each material. This will help you decide which material of air-tight bottles for kombucha you can use for brewing. Read on to check the common materials of Kombucha bottles and their pros and cons.
Best materials for Kombucha Bottles
- Glass: This material has always been the favorite of brewers, particularly for its ability to withstand the acidic nature of the contents. The glass Kombucha bottles will not produce any reaction when it comes in contact with the acidity of the brewing and fermenting contents.
What makes glass material even better is it will not scratch easily. Moreover, unlike plastic, it does not contain dangerous chemicals like BPA. And drinks stored in glass bottles taste better.
Some other benefits of brewing your Kombucha in a glass container is these bottles are comparatively inexpensive and more easily available.
The only factor that doesn’t go in the favor of glass containers is they can break easily. So, you need to careful while handling them.
Also, with glass bottles, you will not have to worry much about cleaning the bottles as these are very easy to clean.
- Ceramic: Ceramic stands next in the line of favorite materials for kombucha. If you plan to use a ceramic container to culture kombucha, make sure the material is food-grade quality to avoid contact with lead.
- Porcelain: Kombucha bottles made of Porcelain are considered safe as long as they are food-grade. However, you must avoid non-food-grade porcelain containers such as decorative pottery or vessels for brewing Kombucha.
Materials to avoid
- Plastic: plastic containers are not safe for brewing kombucha as they can get easily damaged. The scratches on the plastic material can also harbor bacteria and spill the brewing contents within the vessel.
Another factor that makes plastic unsuitable for brewing kombucha is it may contain undesirable chemicals such as BPA that can damage the kombucha SCOBY. That is why; it is best to avoid plastic bottles for brewing Kombucha.
- Crystal: Crystal containers, other than being expensive, may contain lead. While it may look classy and pretty to have your Kombucha brewing in a crystal vessel, the lead content makes it highly unsuitable for use.
- Metals: Metals are detrimental to the brewing kombucha. If you must use a metal container for any reason, opt for a stainless-steel bottle because it is relatively inert and has less chances of reacting to the brewing contents.
Now that you have got an idea of the type of material that would be suitable for brewing Kombucha, let us move further to check different types of bottles available and when to use them.
- ✅ Includes collapsible silicone funnel and replacement high-pressure gaskets. The glass is rated for 58 psi (twice as much as required by heavily carbonated beer.) These bottles are specifically made for carbonated drinks.
- ✅ Clear glass kombucha bottles 16 oz. Sold by actual kombucha brewers. Perfect for kombucha, beer, kiefer, soda, or any other homebrew! High pressure gaskets included - Required for carbonated home brewing. Everything is food and dishwasher safe! Guaranteed to not flavor whatever you store in the bottle.
- ✅ 16 oz. Grolsch Style Swing Top Caps - Made from 204 stainless steel. Completely reusable and easy to seal and open. The only way to guarantee carbonation stays in the bottle! Swing-top bottles have the tightest seal!
- ✅ Extra Safe Packaging - Guaranteed to arrive unbroken. Every bottle is double bubble wrapped, divided in the box, and shipped with 5 ply cardboard.
- ✅ Completely dishwasher safe. They are the tried and true bottle for homebrewers everywhere.
- High Quality and Durable: Brewing bottles are made of premium durable transparent glass to ensure you can see what is inside and the swing top caps with stainless steel closures and high pressure gaskets creating a secure airtight seal and leakproof for your contents to lock in freshness and flavor.
- Versatile Usages for Liquid Storage: Swing top bottles are ideal for homemade drinks, such as syrup, wine, soft drinks, water, beer, juice, smoothies. Also for carbonated drinks as it retains the gas, such as beer, soda, coke as perfect gifts for someone's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
- Easy to Clean and Dishwasher Safe: Easy pouring spout makes kombucha bottles perfect dispenser for messy oil and vinegar. Once empty, you can just put our glass beer bottles straight into the dishwasher or simply handwash with bottle brush and soap, then you can reclose the glass bottles for repeated use.
- Safe Package Including: Our flip top bottles with stoppers are bubble wrapped with dividers in a secure box with an economical set of 6 pack 16 oz swing top glass bottles with additional 6 chalkboard labels & liquid chalk pen and 1 collapsible silicone funnel so that safe package ensures that your beer bottles arrive safely.
- 100% Service Satisfaction: Our goal is to provide customers with high quality, satisfactory products and services. If you have any questions on swing top glass bottles, please feel free to contact us and we will reply you within 6 hours to make sure you are 100% satisfied with us.
- ♥ Classic Set:hold 16oz,50ml,comes 20 pack in safty package,2.24” Width x 6.65” Height,with airtight lids,Its square design how classic!save space,storage solution for all drinks,oils and sauces,work great also for spice,herbs,dry items,excellent to using as fermentation jar to brew your own homemade drink！
- ♥Thump Up Quality:Crafted from a high food grade glass which is not only resistant to strong levels of heat or cold temperatures,Made by heavy dety glass,bpa free,toxie free,drinking and storage safe!stylish looking,bye bye flimsy,constructed the finest glass to ensure a reliable healthy storage option,surable last for years!
- ♥ Multi Purpose;Empty refillable beverages bottles with caps excellent for storage almost all kind of drinks！Great to use for milk,water,juice,beer,breakfast shake,cocktails,tea,drinks,brew,honey,coffee,salad dressing,kefir,kombucha,fermented drinks and more!will be great way to using as smoothie cups bottles to suprise your guest,weeding favor,party favors,keep hold of your dry ingredients like spices, powders, blends, rubs, sugar, sprinkles and crafts,home brewing your own handmade drink too!
- ♥ Convenient Storage With Airtight Lids :A styalish bottles jars for sure,best storage bottles for your salad,and outdoor bbq,canning your own fresh juice,taking your sommoth wherever you want,refill with your favourite drink such as milk,water,jucies and more,no worry about leaking,leakproof with our screw up lids,to to picnic,weeding and party favors,suit for all occasion,perfect for serving all types of beverages and drinks,frensh for longer!no bugs no moist no leak no waste!easy carry
- Dishware Safe:hussle free!easy clean. lids are hand wash with soap or water suggested
What are the different types of Kombucha bottles?
When you start looking for Kombucha bottles, you will come across different varieties including swing top, wide mouth, air-tight, and Grolsch. I am sure it would be too confusing for you to choose one if you do not know what each means and how they are suitable for brewing kombucha.
Read this section carefully to learn the different types of Kombucha bottles and how each of them affects the brewing process.
Swing top Kombucha bottles
Most seasoned Kombucha brewers prefer to use Swing Top bottles for brewing Kombucha. The top of these bottles has a rubber gasket that ensures a tight seal. These bottles also offer the convenience of use as they can go in your dishwasher.
These bottles have a few other uses as well. In fact, you will find the titles of most Swing Top Kombucha bottles identifying them as a beer bottle.
They are perfect for brewing up practically everything including kombucha, beer, iced tea, and cold coffee. So, you have several options for reusing kombucha bottles. Kombucha swing top bottles are also easy to handle. Simply pour the contents into a glass and seal up the rest for later usage.
Wide mouth Kombucha bottles
Irrespective of whether you use a glass bottle or a ceramic bottle for brewing Kombucha at home, you need to pay particular attention to its opening. It is best to opt for a wide mouth container for Kombucha brewing.
A wide-mouthed jar would allow more oxygen to flow into the container. This would do a lot of good to the SCOBY and keep the fermentation process on track.
The process of fermentation is aerobic in nature, which means it requires oxygen. The more oxygen your brewing contents receive, the faster and better would your Kombucha brew.
However, the process of secondary fermentation is anaerobic in nature, which means it can occur even without oxygen. So, for the second fermentation, you can switch to a recycled wine bottle or gallon jug with a smaller opening.
You also need to keep in mind the surface areas of the brewing contents while selecting the Kombucha bottles. The surface area exposed to the air at the top of the liquid can influence the rate of fermentation of kombucha.
If you choose a wide-mouth bottle having an opening with a diameter of say 8 to 9 inches, a larger amount of oxygen would enter the bottle through the larger surface areas exposed to the air. This will allow your Kombucha to culture much faster than if you use a container with an opening of a smaller diameter, say 3 to 4 inches.
If you are tempted to speed up the brewing process, you can use a container with a wider mouth. However, keep in mind that if your kombucha ferments too quickly, it may become a bit vinegary in flavor. This means faster doesn’t necessarily mean better flavors!
If you have adequate stock of Kombucha that can last for several weeks, you can instead opt for a narrow mouth bottle to ensure your next batch of Kombucha ferments slowly. This would enhance the flavors of the brewing contents.
So, depending on how much you can wait until the next batch is ready, you can opt for a bottle with a wide or a narrow mouth.
Air-tight Kombucha bottles
During primary or initial fermentation, you do not have to worry much about the lids of the container being air-tight or not. During initial fermentation, you would anyway be covering the top of the jar with a cloth. So, it won’t really matter if the jar you buy has an air-tight lid or not.
However, if you are planning to use the same jar for refrigeration or secondary fermentation, you need to reconsider whether the jar is air-tight or not.
During refrigeration or secondary fermentation, it is best to opt for a jar with a non-metallic lid. Make sure the lid fits the jar tightly. Covering your brewing contents with a tight-fitting lid would protect the kombucha and SCOBY.
If the Kombucha bottles you choose doesn’t have its own lid, you can find an alternative to keep the contents safe and protected against fruit flies and similar critters.
Here are some options for covering your Kombucha bottle:
- A tight-weave dish towel or a coffee filter secured with a rubber band would be an excellent choice.
- Cover it with a butter muslin cut into smaller pieces and layered to fit the mouth of the container.
However, you must avoid covering the container with a loosely-woven fabric and screens as these would not be adequate to keep tiny bugs like fruit flies and ants out.
Flip flop Kombucha bottlesNo products found.
These bottles are commonly used by homebrewers and for a good reason! Flip flop bottles, also called Grolsch, are considered the best for the second fermentation. The cap of these containers makes up for a perfect air-tight seal.
Though most Grolsch bottles are a little pricey and also a bit difficult to open when newly bought, they do offer a suitable option for the second fermentation. Also, with regular use, they do not pose much of a problem for opening.
Flip flop bottles usually come with a ceramic or plastic top. We would prefer the ones with a ceramic top for a tighter seal and a nicer look.
What is the recommended size of containers for Brewing Kombucha?
You can brew kombucha in a container of any size depending on the amount of contents. It should be large enough to hold the entire kombucha ingredients or the amount of Kombucha you would like to brew and consume.
Keep in mind that the usual time needed for brewing kombucha is about 7 to 30 days. So, the batch size should be adequate enough to provide kombucha for the starter tea as well as drinking until the next batch is ready.
For example, if you plan to brew kombucha in a quarter-sized jar, which holds approximately 4 cups of liquid, leave aside at least half a cup of this kombucha as a starter tea for the next batch.
This means you would have three and a half cups of fermented kombucha to drink until the next batch is done with culturing.
Use this method to decide the amount of Kombucha ingredients you need to add to the container and choose the container accordingly so that it is large enough to hold the entire contents.
Most canning and storage jars are available in the sizes of a quarter, half a gallon, and gallon. You can choose a larger gallon sized glass jar with spigot for continuous brewing system. But, make sure the spigot in the jar is made of plastic, and not metal, as metals can spoil the kombucha SCOBY.
Now is the time we can have a look at the top 8 Kombucha bottles. You have already learned the pros and cons of different materials and types of bottles. You can use this knowledge now to find the best Kombucha bottle that suits your preferences:
Top 8 Kombucha Bottles
Flip Top Brewing Bottles For Kombucha by Otis Classic are made of heavy-duty glass rated to 58psi / 4 bar making it an ideal option to brew kombucha or beer at home. The heavy-duty glass would provide an assurance that the kombucha contents would stay protected without the risk of the bottle exploding.
These Kombucha bottles are provided with strong swing-top caps made of stainless steel and a set of 6 replacement medium pressure gaskets. These bottles are dishwasher safe, which means you do not have to worry much about how to keep them clean.
Another interesting feature of these bottles is they come with two sets of style gaskets so that you can choose the one that suits your brewing style. You can opt for the high-pressure gasket for longer and high-pressure fermentation brewing or try the medium pressure gasket for the standard, medium duration brews and ferments.
Moreover, these bottles have BPA-free plastic caps, which, according to manufacturers, are unbreakable.
Some other positive points of these Kombucha bottles include a reasonable price and safe packaging.
- Thick glass bottles
- The (204) stainless steel closures
- Tall slim design with straight sides
- Hardwearing BPA-free plastic caps
- High-pressure bottles
- Reasonably priced
- These bottles seem to have all the features that you need to brew a perfect Kombucha at home.
Most customers have praises for the high-quality build and durability of these bottles. They have appreciated the ability of these bottles to withstand high pressure.
If you are looking for swing top bottles for breading Kombucha at home, you can definitely try this one. These bottles from Hemlock Home Brewing have been specifically manufactured to brew carbonated drinks.
These Grolsch style bottles come in a set of 6. So, you can brew several batches of Kombucha at the same time or even store each undisturbed. Having more than one bottle would give you an opportunity to decide when you would like to burp one and leave others undisturbed to ferment more.
What we really liked about these bottles is they include a collapsible silicone funnel as well as high-pressure gaskets for replacement.
Also, the glass of these bottles is rated for 58 psi, which is twice of what is required to brew heavily carbonated beers. So, you need not worry about your kombucha bottles exploding.
The high-pressure gaskets provided with these bottles make them perfect for home brewing.
These bottles are clear making it easier for you to view what’s happening inside without having to open the bottle. The bubbles appearing along the sides of the bottle would give you an idea of the level of fermentation that has occurred. This can be of great benefit to brewers who do not like to burp their Kombucha and cause the yeast to escape.
What’s more? These kombucha bottles are neither too large nor too small. A capacity of 16 oz. each can allow you to brew a reasonable amount of several batches of Kombucha.
If you are looking at convenience and do not want to stress yourself thinking about how to clean Kombucha bottles, these are perfect. These bottles are dishwasher safe and even guaranteed to not affect the flavors of whatever you brew in it.
These Kombucha bottles have a Grolsch Style Swing Top Caps that are made of stainless steel. The caps are reusable, offer a perfect air-tight seal to the contents, and pose no difficulty in opening them. This would address the common concerns of Kombucha brewers. The combination of tight seal and ease of opening is rare for most Grolsch Kombucha bottles and this is what makes these bottles desirable by brewers.
The comparatively lower price of these Kombucha bottles does make it a good option even for beginners trying their hand at brewing.
- Air tight seal
- Easy to open
- Dishwasher safe
- Comes in a set of 6
- Thick glass with reduced chances of explosion
- Includes a collapsible silicone funnel
- Comes with a high-pressure gasket
- Reasonably priced
- Narrow mouth making it difficult to clean the bottles
Most Kombucha brewers have expressed satisfaction over using these bottles for brewing. Overall reviews have been positive.
These Swing Top Grolsch Bottles have been designed by the reputed brand of Bellemain. These bottles are perfect for brewing Kombucha at home in smaller batches. These are available in a set of 6 each with the standard size of 16 oz.
It has been provided with a reusable, air-tight cap that could prevent leakage and allow the fermentation process to go on without letting any yeast to escape. We really liked the silicone gasket seal of these bottles. It is made of stainless-steel wire and helps to keep the contents fresh.
What we observed is the seal was neither too tight when using the first time not it become loose with repeated use.
For the health-conscious Kombucha brewers, here’s another feature of these bottles you would like. It is free of harmful metals like cadmium and lead. The thick, and sturdy glass of these bottles does not absorb any odors and flavors.
Some more features we liked include an easy-to-clean cap, which slides off easily for thorough cleaning.
These bottles are priced in a lower range. We feel these bottles are suitable for homebrewers looking for a cost-effective option.
- Thick, and sturdy glass
- Silicone gasket seal
- Easy to clean
- Available in a set of 6 bottles
- Free of cadmium and lead
- Lower price
- The tops should be stronger in order to hold better under the pressure of Kombucha fermentation
Most users have mentioned how these bottles helped them brew kombucha easily. Some users have complained of the bottles exploding and breaking easily.
These classy air-tight Kombucha bottles offer great convenience to kombucha brewers. These are available in a set of 6 bottles that are made of eco-friendly materials and are dishwasher safe.
The durable glass material of these bottles ensures they stay protected against Kombucha bottles exploding.
What makes Epica Glass Beverage Bottles stand apart from other Kombucha bottles is its higher capacity and wider mouth. The wider mouth would surely make it easier for you to handle the contents and fill it up or clean it.
What makes it even better is its cap that has been lined by a rubber O-ring. This means it would not cause leakage and leave a mess in your bag.
These reasonably-priced Epica Glass Beverage Bottles can offer a great Kombucha brewing experience to all.
- Wider mouth
- Higher capacity
- Easy to clean leakage proof
- Lower price
- The metal part of the cap tends to separate from the plastic piece easily
These Kombucha bottles are more preferred by those who like to brew a larger batch. They have also been appreciated by users who like to opt for eco-friendly products.
Swing Top Brewing Bottle with Stopper by AYL is lauded for its durable construction. These flip-top Kombucha bottles are made of thick glass to ensure optimum resistance to pressure and temperature changes. Its whitecap is made of high-quality polypropylene and the wire cap is made of stainless steel for corrosion resistance.
These bottles are made available in a set of 4 each with a capacity of 33 fl. oz or 1 Liter. So, these bottles would be suitable for homebrewers who would like to brew a larger batch at a time.
Some other good features of these bottles include a resealable cap that keeps the contents fresh and a leak-proof lid that creates an air-tight barrier.
These Swing top bottles are BPA-free and do not contain lead, phthalates and, any toxins making them a safer option made available to you at a reasonable price.
- Larger capacity of 1 liter for each bottle
- Available in a set of 4 bottles
- Durable construction
- Ensures optimum resistance to pressure and temperature changes
- Comes with a corrosion resistance wire cap
- BPA free
- Does not contain any chemicals, lead or toxins
- The metal caps tend to get dislodged easily
Most users have left positive reviews for these bottles except a few who have complained of the metal caps getting dislodged easily.
These 2 Pack – 1 Gallon Glass Jar by 1790 are perfect for brewing a larger batch of Kombucha. Needless to say, these bottles come in a pack of two. These are large Kombucha bottles glass jars having a capacity of one gallon each.
These bottles are provided with plastic leakproof and airtight lids. It also includes 2 rubber bands and 2 sheets of breathable muslin cloth to let in air while keeping the contaminants and bug outs.
These jars have a wider mouth making them easy to handle and clean. They are also resistant to heat up to the temperature of 350ºF.
These bottles have a BPA-free, rust free, non-corrosive, plastic lid and a removable seal that makes it leakproof and airtight. It is all these features that make them cost-effective brewing bottles.
- A larger capacity of 1 Gallon Glass Jar
- Plastic Airtight Lid
- Wider Mouth
- Muslin Cloth provided
- Easy to Clean
- Dishwasher Safe
- The glass seems to be fragile and can break easily if not handled carefully
While most customers have appreciated the features of these jars such as larger capacity, and air-tight lid, they have complained of the glass being too fragile.
The Two 1-Gallon Glass Kombucha Jars by Cornucopia Brands impressed us with some great features like cotton cloth covers, plastic lids for storage and transport and rubber bands to secure the mouth.
The jars have a higher capacity of 1-gallon each and are made available in a set of 2. The jars are made of high-quality food-grade material. The BPA-free plastic lid and all-natural cotton cloth cover make them safe and eco-friendly Kombucha bottles. The tight-weave cover is made of breathable muslin cotton to block the bugs and flies.
However, these bottles are a bit expensive compared to the prices of most other options.
- Available in a set of two 1-gallon glass jars
- Food grade material of the jar
- BPA-free plastic lid
- All-natural cotton cloth cover
- Heavy-duty rubber band for fastening
- Tends to break easily
The cotton cloth cover and rubber bands that come with these jars have provided great convenience to most users.
The features we really liked about Kware Swing Top Glass Bottle is its full thick silicone gasket that reduces the area for any possible leaks to occur.
These bottles are available in a set of 6 each with a capacity of 16 oz. These are easy to open and close. The bottles, as well as their ceramic seal caps, are dishwasher-safe.
Priced in a lower range, we feel Kware Swing Top Glass Bottles would be perfect for homebrewers who would like to ferment smaller batches of kombucha.
- Full thick silicone gasket
- Available in a set of 6
- Reasonably priced
- The seam lines of bottles are pronounced due to which they come as bumps at the bottle rim
Most customers have expressed satisfaction over the quality of these bottles. However, they have noted that the seam lines of these bottles are prominent, which causes a bit of inconvenience.
Kombucha Bottles Frequently Asked Questions
Once you have selected the best Kombucha bottle, you will have to learn some finer aspects of taking good care of them so that they last longer and do not affect the fermentation process.
Here are some common concerns most Kombucha users have about using different bottles and containers.
Is burping kombucha bottles necessary?
Burping essentially means opening your Kombucha bottle slightly during the second fermentation process in order to release the “excess pressure” from the container. Some brewers recommended burping Kombucha bottles every day.
However, burping is counterproductive to the fermentation process.
In fact, burping may sabotage the second fermentation process because it involves allowing some amount of gas trapped during the fermentation process to escape. It would be like taking two steps forward by letting yeast to form within the brewing contents and then, taking one step back by burping to let the yeast escape.
That is why burping is not advisable during Kombucha brewing. And for the same reason, you also need to make sure the Kombucha bottles you choose have an air-tight lid.
Even if you do not let the bottle burp by opening it yourself, the loose lid may cause the air to escape thus working similar to manual burping.
Hence, while choosing Kombucha bottles for the second fermentation, make sure it has an air-tight lid so that natural burping is minimized and the contents remain safe. It will also ensure the process of the second fermentation goes on uninterrupted to give you a perfectly flavored Kombucha.
Burping may be a good idea only if you plan to leave the bottle at room temperature. Leaving your sealed container at room temperature can cause the yeast to eat away at the sugars to create carbonation. Most brewers prefer a less sugary Kombucha for health reasons. However, leaving the bottle at room temperature, while reducing the sugar contents of the Kombucha, can make it over fermented. So, when you open the bottle suddenly, the contents are released with a force thus creating a mess.
To prevent this, you can burp the bottle slightly once every day. This will allow the excess pressure to escape and give you a dry and less sweet kombucha that you prefer.
How can I prevent kombucha bottles exploding?
Based on our experience, we can tell that kombucha bottles exploding is more of a rarity. It is extremely rare and may occur only if the glass container is of poor quality.
A very thin glass would not be able to withstand the build-up of pressure within the vessel during the fermentation process causing the bottle to explode.
The best way to avoid this problem is to choose a high-quality, thick-walled Kombucha bottle. If the fear of your Kombucha bottle exploding is keeping you nervous, you can also let it burp once a day to allow some carbonated air to escape. This would relieve the pressure built up within the container and reduce the risk of explosion.
How to get labels off kombucha bottles?
Some kombucha bottles have a paper sticker label overlaid with a thin film of plastic. The best way to get this label off cleanly is to heat up the adhesive.
You can fill the bottle with scalding hot water and let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then, pour the water out and carefully peel the label off. You can also blast the bottle with a hair dryer set at its hottest temperature. This will cause the adhesive to melt making the label to peel off on its own.
Any sticker residue still stick to the bottle can be removed by applying coconut oil. You can also apply a thick paste of baking soda and coconut oil on the residue. Simply smear it over the area with a sticky residue. Let it sit for about 15 to 30 minutes and then, scrub it off with a scrubby sponge, mild dish soap, and water.
Based on the features of the best Kombucha bottles, we feel Flip Top Brewing Bottles For Kombuchahave all that you would need to brew the perfect kombucha at home.
These brewing bottles by Otis Classic offer several features including a higher thickness, stainless steel closures, and high-pressure bottles, which can enhance your brewing experience.
You can definitely try using these Kombucha bottles to improve the flavors of Kombucha while also avoiding the risk of explosion, and enjoying the ease of usage.