If you are aware of how fermentation can enhance the health benefits of certain foods, you must be eager to find out if it is possible to ferment cod liver oil. Cod liver oil is one of the best natural sources of omega 3 fatty acids. It is revered for its ability to control your cholesterol level and improve heart health.
It is believed that the process of fermentation can enhance these benefits. While this is true that fermented cod liver oil does offer numerous benefits, the process of fermentation itself is a bit tricky.
This is so because the process of fermentation basically requires carbohydrates that are used up by organisms to release gases that make the food fermented. Hence, ideally, cod liver oil, being a pure fatty substance, can not be fermented.
So, when the manufacturers “ferment” pure cod liver oil, they do so by extracting the oil from the putrefied cod livers exposed to air and sunlight. This process is commonly referred to as cold-extraction.
As the cod livers are putrefied, there is a release of gas due to the action of bacteria making it a fermented product. Since the process involves the use of salty brine, the process is considered more similar to pickling than fermenting.
Cod liver oil can also be lacto- fermented. Irrespective of the specific process of fermenting cod liver oil, they do offer numerous benefits that can help you stay healthy.
Cod liver oil, when fermented, offers a superior source of several vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA making it a desirable addition to your diet.
Difference between fermented and non-fermented cod liver oil
The process of fermentation is used across various cultures throughout the world as a way to improve the health benefits of substances and preserve them for a longer duration.
Fermentation involves several metabolic processes in which the enzymes in the food undergo changes. It is specifically the carbohydrates in the substance that are converted into an acid or alcohol making it last longer or more shelf-stable.
Similarly, when cod liver oil is fermented, the process is believed to make the oil more stable. Fish oil, being rich in healthy fats such as omega 3 fatty acids, is not very stable and prone to rapid changes in its chemical structure when subjected to heat.
Fermented cod liver oil is considered superior to fresh cod liver oil as the process of fermentation makes it more stable and helps in preserving it for longer without damaging its beneficial elements.
The Best Cod Liver Oils
1. Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil
The Fermented Cod Liver Oil from Blue Ice is a lacto-fermented supplement derived through a process that enriches the nutritional content of cod liver oil.
It offers a pure blend of vitamin-rich butter oil that is fermented to enhance the benefits you can derive. It is available in the form of capsules making it easier and convenient for you to use it.
It is made from dairy oil that is extracted from cows without the application of heat. The cows are fed only rapidly growing grass making it a safe supplement you can include in your fitness routine.
- Lacto-fermented cod liver oil
- Available as easy-to-swallow capsules
- Offers a pure blend of vitamin-rich cod liver oil
- May cause repeated burping that smells putrid.
2. Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Here’s another fermented cod liver oil supplement from Blue Ice that is made available to you through an entirely different process.
It is a premium quality fermented Cod Liver Oil that contains a rich level of vitamins. These are non-gelatin capsules that are easy to swallow.
- High amount of vitamins
- Non-gelatin, easy to swallow capsules
- You may not like the taste.
Top 5 Cod Liver Oil Pills
1. Carlson – Cod Liver Oil
Cod Liver Oil by Carlson is formulated keeping in mind the body’s needs for healthy fats. It is particularly designed to help improve the health of your heart, brain, and joints. A single teaspoonful of this supplement provides nearly 1,100 mg of omega-3 fatty acids including EPA and DHA.
This supplement would also enhance joint mobility and improve vision.
Carlson Cod Liver Oil is available in 3 different flavors including fruit splash, lemon, and natural flavor. It gives you an option to choose the flavor that best suits your preferences.
- Sourced from the best quality Arctic cod off the Norway coast using traditional, and sustainable methods
- Well managed transportation system to ensure the contents are preserved
- Bottled with a tinge of antioxidants to provide better results
- The product is subjected to a nitrogen flush to eliminate oxygen and prevent oxidation
- May cause mild stomach upset and heartburn.
2. Nordic Naturals Arctic CLO
The Nordic Naturals Arctic CLO is enriched with omega 3 fatty acids. It is formulated to provide optimum support for your liver, brain, heart, and immune system. One teaspoon of this cod liver oil would provide more than 1,000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids including DHA and EPA.
Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that have been shown to promote heart and brain health and support the immune and nervous systems.
Every batch of Nordic cod liver oil is crafted from the wild-caught fish from a fresh catch, and is sourced from clean water making it a safe supplement for you to use while avoiding the risk of contamination by the toxins from the aquatic sources.
- The process protects the fragile ecosystem of the ocean
- Contains a high amount of omega 3 fatty acids
- Has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Dairy-free and gluten-free supplement
- May cause mild heartburn.
3. Cod Liver Oil by Carlyle
Cod Liver Oil by Carlyle is sourced from cold seawater codfish from the Nordic and Arctic country of Norway. It is a pure cod liver oil containing essential nutrients such as vitamin D, omega 3s like EPA, and DHA and vitamin A.
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Improves heart functions
- lab tested and bottled in the USA
- Manufactured in the FDA registered facilities
- Has a strong fishy taste.
4. Dropi Pure Icelandic Cod Liver Oil
Dropi Pure Icelandic Cod Liver Oil is manufactured in a small Icelandic village, exclusively from the fresh cods. It is a 100% cold-processed, natural cod liver oil that is crafted using extraction methods based on ancient techniques.
The process helps to maintain its natural properties and preserves omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamins A and D.
- Offer the best natural source of Omega-3s
- Contains no artificial ingredients
- Produced under strict European manufacturing standards
- Smells rancid.
5. Cod Liver Oil Capsules by Athelas Neutraceuticals
These Cod Liver Oil Capsules by Athelas Neutraceuticals is an ultra-premium cod liver oil extracted from the fresh or never-frozen fish. It has no fishy aftertaste and causes no smelly burps!
It is a distilled oil that ensures the contaminants are reduced to the below detectable levels which is why it is considered a safe and pure Cod Liver Oil supplement you can try.
- Contains a rich amount of EPA and DHA
- Pure and high quality supplement from fresh cods
- May cause stomach upsets.
- Contains healthy omega 3 fatty acids that can reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in your blood.
- Improves the health of the heart and reduces the risk of hypertension and heart attacks.
- Reduces inflammation in joints and provides relief from arthritis and improve joint mobility.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in fermented cod liver oil would support eye health and reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
Potential side effects
Most of the side effects caused due to the consumption of fermented cod liver oil are linked to the incorrect selection of the supplement. Research studies have revealed that the environmental toxins in fish like mercury, dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls, and other contaminants may still be present in cod liver oil.
Hence, it is important to choose pure and high-quality fermented cod liver oil in order to minimize the risk of exposure to toxins and maximize the benefits.
Also, the high levels of vitamin D in fermented cod liver oil may lead to polyuria, anorexia, and irregular heart rhythm. It may also increase the levels of calcium in your blood resulting in a tendency to develop kidney stones or calcification of blood vessels and tissues.
If you are suffering from high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, using fermented cod liver oil would help you keep these lipid levels in control.
You can choose the high quality fermented cod liver oil supplements like Carlson - Cod Liver Oil to derive these benefits. It is also recommended for patients who suffer from heart diseases such as hypertension. It offers a safe and effective way to enhance your overall health and fitness by maintaining the functions of vital organs such as the liver and heart.